Carbs are an essential part of our diet.
I eat heaps of carbs, but I avoid them early in the day. I tend to eat carbs and good starchy foods for dinner (you know…rice, potatoes).
By eating a typical carb-heavy breakfast such as bagels, muffins, toast or cereal, you will find that they contain very empty nutrients, and your blood sugar will do a big spike up.
And guess what happens after that?
Yep, you guessed it…after the big up spike comes the big crash!!! And then we are left wanting more and more of the same thing…and around we go again.
So what do you eat for breakfast?
Simple…a mix of protein and natural fats, whilst limiting empty sugary carbs. This means your blood sugar will be more stable throughout the day, and your body won’t be craving that sugary hit and you’ll less likely get mood swings.
Personally, I love a good smoothie bowl. By grinding up all the ingredients below, not only do you get a good mix of protein and fats, but the grinding process means the nutrients will be absorbed more effectively by your body.
Mix all together in a blender:
- Water or non-dairy milk, approx. 1/2 cup and ice
- Frozen berries approx. 1/2 cup (blueberries are the best for breakfast)
- 2-3 small pieces of frozen banana (keep banana at a minimum because of it’s high sugar content)
- Vegan Protein Powder (this one is my favourite)
- Spinach leaves
- Good grind of natural sea salt
- A good handful of raw almonds, or 2-3 tablespoons of almond butter or 1/2 Avocado
- 1 tablespoon linseeds or chia seeds